Teaching and Learning in Web-Based Courses
Practicum: The Development of a Web-Based Course
October 22 - November 11, 2012 - CANCELLED
Cost: $400; $380 NLN members
Instructor: Lorry Schoenly, PhD, RN, CCHP-RN
Prerequisites: Completion of first three courses
The practicum is the culmination of the certificate program. Faculty will review and critique the Web learning module or segment that you developed during the first three courses of the program. Class size is limited to 30. The first three courses must be completed before enrolling in the practicum.
- Develop and design a learning segment.
- Apply instructional design principles.
- Construct learning objectives or learning outcomes.
- Develop a learning activity appropriate for the learning segment.
- According to a provided rubric (guideline), construct Web pages that reflect the use of appropriate color, fonts, spacing, and graphics.
- Describe how you will assess your learning objectives or outcomes.
- Explain how you will evaluate the effectiveness of your learning segment.
Costs and fees
Indiana University School of Nursing alumn qualify for a 10 percent discount registration. To receive this discount, contact the Office of Lifelong Learning at (317) 274-7779 or by email to censg [at] iupui [dot] edu.
Only one discount will apply.
The registration fee less a $60 administrative fee is refundable only if notification is received at least seven days prior to the beginning of a course.
A transfer fee in the amount of 10 percent of the amount paid will apply when a request to transfer from the currently scheduled course to the next scheduled course is received and approved.
The refund policy will still apply if participant later decides to drop the course.
To request a transfer, contact the Office of Lifelong Learning by email at censg [at] iupui [dot] edu or phone at (317) 274-7779.
The transfer fee and refund policies apply to individuals and groups taking the course for continuing nursing education.
You will be required to create two Web pages in the Practicum. Unless you already know HTML, you will have to make a choice among three tool options:
- A graphic Web Editor such as NVU, FrontPage, or Dreamweaver
- The internal editor in your LMS (such as WebCT or Blackboard)
- Google Sites, a free online Web Editor
If you choose option 1:
If you have an HTML editor for creating Web pages (such as Microsoft FrontPage or Macromedia Dreamweaver) installed on your computer, you are encouraged to use that.
- If you do not have an HTML editor installed, you may choose to install the free software NVU (a simple Web editor and previous participants of this course found it to be easier to use than commercial editors), downloadable at http://www.download.com/Nvu/3000-2048_4-10412423.html
If you choose option 2:
You must have access to a Learning Management System (LMS) such as WebCT or Blackboard at your institution, and the ability and access to create courses within this LMS.
If you choose option 3:
You will need to create a free account with Google. Go to http://sites.google.com for instructions.
If you are unsure about which is the right tool for you, contact the course facilitator at the beginning of the course.
How you will be evaluated
You must complete all assignments, posting forum responses, and a course evaluation to receive the contact hours for this course.
Those persons successfully completing all four courses in Teaching & Learning in Web-based Courses Certificate Program will receive a certificate of completion in addition to the contact hour records.
The developers and facilitators of this course did not have any conflict of interest. No commercial support or sponsorship was received for the development of this course. The expiration date for this course February 2013.
The Indiana University School of Nursing Office of Lifelong Learning is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission of Accreditation.
Registrations for this course is limited to thirty (30) participants.