Student Professional Development Day, 2012 IUPUI Campus Center, 4th Floor
Thursday, October 25
8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
“Perspectives on Cultural Competence
and Compassionate Patient Care”
Student Professional Development Day is an all-day conference experience offered to the 870 undergraduate nursing students from Indiana University Schools of Nursing located on the IUPUI, Bloomington and Columbus campuses. This biennial conference offers students an opportunity to come together to learn outside of the classroom and clinical setting and hear from exceptional scholars, researchers and policy makers on matters of critical importance to the nursing profession. In addition, students have the ability to interact with potential health care employers in a Job Fair and information sessions.
Featured speakers for the day include:
Anne Ryder – “Renew, Reflect, Connect: Lessons in Compassionate Care”
How do you make a connection that changes a patient’s life, without burning out? Emmy-award winning TV reporter Anne Ryder connects the dots between the final interview with Mother Teresa and her own life-altering experiences with nurses since the interview in Calcutta.
Chad Priest – “Beyond Caring: Thoughts on the Future of Nursing’
Healthcare in the United States is undergoing a massive transformation. In a provocative and engaging talk, Chad Priest will challenge all of us to address questions that are fundamental to our practice and our profession: What will it mean to ‘nurse’ in the next decade and beyond? How can nurses reorient their practice to claim a leadership role in a radically redesigned system? What will it take for the nursing voice to be authentically heard?
We are proud to offer this learning experience for our undergraduate nursing students and look forward to a very successful day. For more detailed information about our speakers, please check out our information on the web:
- This is a required event for students in the BSN major at IUPUI, IUB, and IUPUC, with regrets only for a non-nursing course meeting that is being held on that date. If you have such a conflict, you must complete and submit the regrets form due October 15, 2012.
- Please arrive between 8:00 and 8:30 am. (http://life.iupui.edu/campus-center/about/directions.html
- Dress is Business Casual (i.e. slacks, khakis, skirts, collared shirts or sweaters: no flip flops).
- Check in and Check out are required for tracking purposes—at the registration area.
- A light breakfast and lunch will be provided.
- There will be a job fair with employers from many area health agencies; generally resumes will not be collected at this event. There will also be information sessions with alumni and representatives from graduate programs.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR STUDENTS!
IUSON Student Professional Development Day will be held at the IUPUI Campus Center located at 420 University Blvd. Directions to IUPUI can be found at http://www.iupui.edu/about/maps/directions.html
- Parking Information
IUB or IUPUC students with current “E” parking permits may park for free in IUPUI “E” surface lot, parking tag must be displayed to avoid ticketing.
IUB or IUPUC students may also park in the Vermont Street Garage
If you have specific questions you may email Dr Sue Hendricks shendric [at] iupui [dot] edu.